Careers at Piggush Engineering
Survey Crew Chief
We have an exciting opportunity to hire and add to our team a talented Survey Crew Chief.
The Survey Crew Chief will work with the Survey Department Manager as well as all other pertinent team members to collect field data in order to generate a detailed visual representation of a surveyed location for a survey order or engineering project. If qualified, they may use computer design programs to sketch site designs, when needed, and collect relevant details from the field such as materials, dimensions, and industry appropriate standards. Accurate field data must be obtained and kept in order to complete survey orders to the highest standards.
The Survey Crew Chief will work with the Survey Technician(s) to make accurate measurements and determine the necessary evidence required for boundaries. Provide data relevant to the shape, contour, location, elevation, or dimension of land or land features on or near the earth’s surface for engineering, mapmaking, land evaluation, construction, and other purposes.
Survey Crew Chief will need to observe, receive, and obtain information from all relevant sources. Survey Crew Chief will also need to be able to collect scientific or technical data, read blueprints, read maps, read tape measures and technical drawings, research property records, obtain land survey data using surveying instruments, use computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to program, write software, set up functions, enter data, or process information.
Essential Skills & Abilities
- Prepare and maintain sketches, maps, reports, and legal descriptions of surveys in order to describe, certify, and assume liability for work performed.
- Conduct survey field work in order to establish legal boundaries for properties, based on legal deeds and titles.
- Calculate heights, depths, relative positions, property lines, and other characteristics of terrain.
- Plan and conduct ground surveys designed to establish baselines, elevations, and other geodetic measurements.
- Coordinate findings with the work of engineering and architectural personnel, clients, and others concerned with projects.
- Reference NAD 83 and NAVD 88 to important features and boundaries in survey areas, using total stations, levels, and satellite-based global positioning systems (GPS).
- Compute geodetic measurements and interpret survey data in order to determine positions, shapes, and elevations of geomorphic and topographic features.
- Adaptive and ambitious personality which will work well in team situations as well as have the ability to work as a one-person crew.
- Has the capability and knowledge of reconnaissance to perform Boundary Surveys and ALTA/ASCM Land Title Surveys.
- Good interpersonal skills to ensure good communication with designers, engineers, and other colleagues.
- Understands topographic surveys and can recognize key features and structure during the process of field work.
- Ability to perform construction staking/layout tasks.
*NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Members may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
- A minimum of 4 years of field land surveying experience and/or college education/degree preferred.
- Strong written, oral, and graphical presentation skills
- Independent problem-solver and decision maker
- Be flexible and collaborative with others to problem solve
Piggush Engineering, Inc. offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes Health & Dental Insurance, 401(k), PTO and paid Holidays.