Construction Observer Job Description
The Construction Observer is responsible for the successful completion of construction projects. This position is responsible for understanding site engineering plans and project specifications, construction quality assurance, field quantity measurements and project documentation including written and photos. The Construction Observer will serve as the onsite representative for the observation of contractor construction activities, including daily coordination with the contractor and other entities and the recommendation of acceptance of completed work.
Essential Skills & Abilities
- Analyze site engineering plans and project specifications to monitor construction activities for compliance.
- Perform observation of construction work for compliance with site engineering plans and contract documents.
- Document field quantities of completed work preferred.
- Administer change order and/or force account work and documentation related thereto.
- Complete Inspector’s Daily Reports (IDRs) and other applicable documentation required for completed work.
- Take daily progress photos.
- Document any quality related issues and communicate with the responsible Project Engineer.
- Good interpersonal skills to ensure good communication with contractors, engineers and other colleagues.
- Ability to perform layout tasks and field verify elevations and slopes.
- Ability to use digital laser levels in order to check hubs, and staked grades in the field.
- Experience with Federal (FHWA) and State (IDOT) construction projects is preferred.
- Familiarity with Federal (FHWA) and State (IDOT) material and documentation requirements is preferred.
- Have the ability to submit monthly contract pay estimates, weekly RE progress reports based on the work completed and billed by the contractor.
- Ability to coordinate with IDOT BLRS in order to coordinate final inspections.
- Experience with completion of final pay estimates, final reports and IDOT audits is preferred.
- Previous experience with IDOT personnel as well as IDOT and FHWA funded projects is preferred.
*NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Members may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
A minimum of 4 years of construction and/or construction inspection experience and/or college education/degree preferred.